Mercury and gold are dangerous incompatibilities!
Situation: a gold ring covered with indelible stains was brought to the shop workshop. Customers have many questions to the manufacturer. It is not wise: how can a ring made of precious metal be changed in general? Isn’t it fake?
The manufacturer has nothing to please the customer: over time, the ring will change color even more, and gold will not leave a trace. The reason: the gold piece was in contact with mercury. And mercury absorbs gold.
Of course, contact with a dangerous substance is not an ordinary person, but which one of us has not encountered the banal situation when a thermometer crashed in the house? The first thing that comes to mind is picking up a ball of mercury with a wet cloth. Not taking off the rings – because in a stressful situation there is no time to think about the ring and a possible chemical reaction. By the way, if the thermometer broke, it is better to call a special service, which will carefully collect the balls and dispose of.
What about the ring? Put it in a vacuum vessel (mercury volatile substance) and bring it to the jewelry workshop. There, the amalgam – the name given to the substance resulting from the contact of a gold alloy with mercury – will evaporate the mercury and produce pure gold.